Saltonstall Foundation for the Arts
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Call for Entries: 2017 Summer Residency Program
If you have landed on this page directly without visiting our web site first, we strongly encourage you to read more about residency program, the application guidelines, and residency FAQs before beginning your application.
Each year, the Saltonstall Foundation awards all-expenses-paid residencies to 25 New York State artists and writers in the following disciplines:
- Fiction & Creative Nonfiction
- Photography & Filmmaking
- Painting | Sculpture | Visual arts (PSVA)
A Saltonstall residency is a small community. We strive to provide a quiet, inviting, respectful, and nurturing community for creative individuals looking for uninterrupted time to focus on their craft.
There are just 5 individuals in residence at a time: 1 poet, 1 fiction or creative nonfiction writer, 1 photographer or filmmaker, and 2 visual artists. Each group of 5 arrives and departs at the same time.
We believe in and value a diverse community of creative individuals. To that end, we hope that all artists and writers feel welcome to apply for a residency, regardless of one’s level of education, experience, race, age, sex, religious belief, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, or national origin.
There is no cost to attend Saltonstall, and this year, for the first time, there is no application fee associated with this application. Additionally, to help offset travel to Ithaca and other personal expenses, we provide stipends of $500 to each month-long Fellow and $250 to each two-week Fellow.
applicants must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age and must be residents of New York State (all counties). Residencies are for individual artists and writers. We are unable to accommodate groups or pairs of people working together.
Dates for month-long residencies in 2017:
- Monday, May 15 - Thursday, June 15 (32 days)
- Monday, June 19 - Thursday, July 20 (32 days)
- Monday, July 24 - Thursday, August 24 (32 days)
Dates for two-week residencies in 2017:
- Monday, August 28 - Monday, September 11 (15
Wednesday, September 13 - Wednesday, September 27 (15 days)
Applicants may apply for either a month-long residency or a two-week residency (not both). You will be given an opportunity to rank your choice of dates within the application.
Applicants may apply in more than one artistic or literary category, however a complete and separate application for each category is required.
Past Saltonstall Fellows (residency alumni) must wait one year after their residency before reapplying. For example: an alum from 2015 may reapply for a 2017 residency.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 11:59 pm on January 2, 2017
- We convene a different jury for each discipline.
- Jurors serve anonymously and change each year.
- Your application is considered solely on the merit of your work sample and your artist's and writer's statement.
- Your work and statement are presented anonymously to the jury, and it is the only part of your application that they see.
- It is very important that you do not identify yourself in any way within your statement or work samples: do not include information such as your name or your age.
- Do not "credential" yourself. Your writer's or artist's statement should not mention where or when you went to school or where you've been published, exhibited, etc. Simply talk about the work that the jury is reviewing.
We can't stress this enough: Please take special care regarding identifying and "credentialing" yourself and how you name your files. If there are errors, your application will be disqualified, and we don't want that to happen!
Please carefully review the instructions for the discipline in which you are applying before you begin the application process. Good luck!